Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 10:14:31 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        billn <billn@yelmtel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP - Major Problems

Hello, Bill!

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 05:34:23PM -0700, billn wrote:
> I read the page at: http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html

OK, at least this is clear now.

> What was missing was something as an overview such as:
>
> Here are where the CVSup files live
>  - /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ - supfile and refuse
>  - /usr/local/bin/cvsup - the executable
>
> Here is what the files do:
> Here is how you set them up:
> Here is how you install cvsup if you don't have it:
> Here is how you run a simple update to all ports files:
>
> Now add the details that are already in the file.
>
> Bill Nicholls

So, if I understand you correctly, the issue is more of organisation
than content. Of course, it could be added that (as a rule, although you
can change this) cvsup lives in /usr/local/bin, and that (again, by
default, but not surely in your case) /usr/local/bin is not in your
PATH, but other than that, I think that the sections you list above are
already tere. Maybe, they re not written in step-by-step style, but
rather as continous text. Maybe, an article (in how-to style) could help
with this.

Although I have a few reservations. Cvsup is not to be used
by absolute beginners, IMO. I do realise that there is no good way to
update your ports collection without it, but absolute beginners,
(because I do consider someone who does not know about PATH and how to
set it, an absolute beginner, even DOS and Win9x have it and you had to
routinely set it in autoexec.bat) should probably use the packages and
sysinstall. Not to mention the fact that, at present, there is no good
way to use the packages or the ports eg across release upgrades unless you
already know your way around. (and also, I'll go on record saying that Linux is
no better unless you do the equivalent of a full binary reinstall)

I am passing your message and my thoughts along to the list so that
other people can see it and add what they've got.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szombathely Hungary