Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:42:58 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Michael W.Holdeman" <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS_PROC NULL: RPC: Timed out

In message <02032219372804.11408@fcoffice.ptfd.org>, "Michael W.Holdeman" write
s:
>I keep getting this message when trying to mount an NFS export. The server is
>working, and I can mount it with a Linux client?

Try running tcpdump to see what packets are being sent and received.
A common cause of this error is if the server has more than one IP
address, and if it replies from an address that is different to the
destination address of the request. Linux will accept RPC replies
no matter where they come from, so this could explain why it can
mount the exported filesystem.

If the server is running FreeBSD, you can use nfsd's "-h" option
as documented on its man page. Otherwise you need to either specify
the server IP address that works, or mount the filesystem with NFS
over TCP (mount -o -T).

Ian