Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 95 15:53:33 CDT
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        questions@freebsd.org, mathezer@newera.ab.ca
Subject:   Re: Crypt and NIS

> First of all, I am not in the US.
>
> I've got a FreeBSD-2.0.5 machine which I want to make an NIS client.
> I am bound up etc no problem and can ypcat passwd successfully, but I can
> not log in as any of the NIS users.

What OS are you running the server on?  What crypt libraries are
you using?

How about sending the output from the following command:

ls -l /usr/lib/*cry*

Do this for both the client and server (if server is FreeBSD box).

Also, have you instructed the client to use NIS?  Use vipw to
add a line into the master.passwd file.  The line to add is

Good Luck,

Derek Laufenberg
laufen@sol.med.ge.com