Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:07:09 +0300
From:      David Naylor <dbn@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wine (-devel) and i386-wine

--nextPart1849351.5zYlAIWtHI

Hi Tom,

On Monday, 1 September 2014 22:24:57 Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I read something about two days on www.freshports.org about wine and
> i386-wine that alters my plans.
>
> I tried to build i386-wine from i386 with the idea of using it both from
> i386 and amd64, in the latter case mounting the i386 partition on
> /compat/i386.
>
> But what I see makes that look not feasible.

It is feasible to run the i386-wine ports from a 32bt environment - however it
is not ideal.  The port implements various hacks to get the package to work
properly on an amd64 system that is simply not needed when running natively.

> If I want to run wine from both i386 and amd64 (not at the same time), do I
> need to make separate installations on separate partitions?  In that case,
> how do I avoid wasteful duplication in compiling?
>
> I am getting ready to rebuild/update FreeBSD-current and possibly
> 10.0-STABLE from source, am planning to also make a new i386 installation
> on a hard drive in a USB 2.0 and eSATA enclosure, using eSATA.
>
> I want to do this soon, at least for FreeBSD-current because, after running
> svn up on FreeBSD src tree from NetBSD, I saw an update in
> $SRCDIR/sys/dev/re/if_re.c and want to see if that works on my Ethernet.
>
> I also want the new NFS improvements.

If you are going to have a /compat/i386 chroot then you could install (normal
32bit) wine there and with the correct scripts run wine from that chroot
without needing i386-wine at all (you will need to set up the correct PATH,
LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH_RPATH variables).

Alternatively, you could install wine on 32-bit and i386-wine on 64-bit and
use those respectively.

I hope this clarifies.

Regards