Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2010 02:24:00 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's UFS vs Ext4

On Sunday 07 February 2010 15:41:29 alex wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Today I reformatted a machine (network server) thats run FreeBSD nonstop
> for at least the last 3 years and installed linux on it. I have a raid 0
> setup with 2 hard disks in the very same machine.
>
> Previously, the maximum I could get across my gigabit enabled network
> was 60MB/s (megabytes) per second sustained transfer rate.
>
> Now that the same machine's raid is formatted with ext4, i am easily
> sustaining 86MB/s.

Too many variables. The difference in performance could be due to:
1) Slow filesystem.
2) Slow network (nic).
3) Slow FTP server.

The fact that the limit is 86MB/sec (which is very low for a raid0 array)
makes me think the box suffers from sub optimal network performance during a
simple stream test like yours. This could be due to FreeBSD having a poor
network driver for your particular NIC or could be due to insufficient tuning
of the TCP parameters for this particular test.

You haven't given any details about the hardware, network tuning done, how you
configured the filesystem, raw filesystem performance, raw network
performance. If you want a meaningful response based on more than guesswork,
please gather more data.

--
Pieter de Goeje