Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 23:43:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet MTUs > 1500?

>>>>> "Joerg" == Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz> writes:

Joerg> On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 11:23:13PM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
>> But a number of devices seem to allow for MTUs > 1500 on 100Mb
>> ethernet... and several people have told me that the standard
>> allows for packets bigger than 1500 bytes.

Joerg> The limit is 1536. That is hex 0x600, a value of importance if
Joerg> using 802.x networks. A value below 0x600 indicates the length
Joerg> of an additional header in the EtherType field. If this value
Joerg> is above 0x600 it indicates a certain protocol (such as 0x800
Joerg> for IP, 0x806 for IP ARP).

Joerg> I would not twiddle with the settings, the extra gain is very
Joerg> low and you'll face all sorts of compatibility issues with
Joerg> devices not supporting it.

Well... all I'm looking for is the ability to set 1504 on the etnernet
device so that 1500 byte packets will pass on the VLANs.  But at least
the "dc" driver ignores MTUs larger than 1500.

Dave.