Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:12:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netscape package not found, xmodmap, and environment variables.

Please try to break up your questions one to a message, it makes them
easier to answer.

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Jason Wells wrote:

> First I would like to report that /stand/sysinstall has some trouble
> installin the netscape 3.01 gold package. It reports something like
> "unable to fetch package upmtyscratch." I was able to do this manually
> so I require no response to this.

Sysinstall is known to be buggy.  It gets its main job done, that is,
installing the system, and there are more pressing things to be dealt
with.  I think the replacement is in its early stages.

<snip>
> How does one set an environment variable?

Depends on one's shell.  The commands are setenv and export, the former
for c shells and the latter for bourne shells.  Read the various shell man
pages.

> Is an environment variable established on a system wide or per user
> basis?

Per user.  You can set them in /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile, though,
and those files are run by everyone.

> Where does on set an environment variable for the user/system?

See above, or in the rc file for the specific shell on a per-user basis.
See the FILES sections of the shell man pages.

> Now to the specifics. The rest of this is mostly non-freebsd related.
> Any help offered will be appreciated.
>
> I can't get proper keyboard function in netscape. The supplied docs
> don't either don't address my situation or I don't understand what they
> are telling me.

The CDs come with version 3.05a or something like that, download version
3.01 and the keysym problems vanish.

<snip>
> --
> Thank you,
> Wannabe Sysadmin
> Jason Wells

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.