Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:00:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting Up A USB Scanner

There have been a few people asking about this, and some from a month or
so back that never got it to work.  Just now, I set up my Epson USB
scanner on another system, and documented the process.  Here goes:

0. Basic setup: I used FreeBSD 4.6, ports freshly cvsupped, and this
   line added in /etc/rc.conf so the USB daemon is running:

   usbd_enable="YES"

   (If you've just added this line, reboot so usbd will be started.)

1. Install xsane for both SANE scanning support and a front-end for
   it.  This also installs GIMP; if you don't want it, remove the
   WITH_GIMP=yes option.

   # cd /usr/ports/graphics/xsane
   # make install WITH_GIMP=yes

2. Attach the USB scanner and turn it on.  You should see a message when
   it has been detected:

   uscanner0: EPSON Perfection1640, rev 1.10/1.03, addr 3

3. Tell SANE about the scanner by editing the SANE configuration.  For
   Epson, this file is /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf.  Add this line
   to the end of the file:

   usb /dev/uscanner0

4. At this point, xsane can be run by root, but it will rightly complain
   that running it as root is a security mistake.
   Other users don't have access to the /dev/uscanner0 device, so xsane
   will report to them that no scanners have been found.  To fix this,
   you could change the permissions on /dev/uscanner0; instead, I chose
   to add my "normal" user to the operator group:

  # pw groupmod operator -M wblock

Now user wblock will be able to run xsane and use the USB scanner.