Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:10:34 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        drew hill <kabouki210@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling

On 2006-02-05 22:20, drew hill <kabouki210@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm am trying to compile an SMP kernel on mt machine. When i am in the
> konsole BSD tells me the Dir /usr/src/sys/i386/conf does not exist. In
> KDE I got to the Dir made the kernel put it in the /root/kernel Dir
> and now that's O.K., BUT trying to compile and install is a new
> nightmare.

You have to be a bit more explicit about the _EXACT_ steps you took.

I'm not sure I can safely guess the steps you took by reading the
above description, and there are a few dozen things you could
have done wrong.

> Is it possible to compile and install in KDE? If so, how?

Yes.  You don't really need "KDE" though for this.

The Handbook and the `/usr/src/UPDATING' file contain a detailed
description of the steps you have to take to upgrade a system
from the sources.  Be sure to check these instructions before you
start doing anything else.

- Giorgos