Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:02:36 +0100
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        "Happy" <kuishin@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can be done in Command Line Interface?

Hello Happy,

Saturday, March 23, 2002, 2:54:24 AM, you wrote:

H> Hi,     I am a new user of freebsd 4.0. I have installed the OS but
H> can  only use the command line interface because of graphics card
H> incompatibility. But I decided to learn using the command line
H> interface anyway.     Can the things which can be done in GUI be
H> done in command line ? e.g, can we email,surf the net,install new
H> software,browse our hard-disk in command line? Also,what are the
H> editors and programming software which we can open and use in
H> command line interface ?     Please reply if you can. Thanks !!  :)

Email - There are lots of e-mail programs that run under command line.
I didn't have a real experience with these.

Suft - You wanna have a look at lynx. This is a text brouwser with
support for frames.

Editors - There are two editors that come installed with the OS and
many more you can install from the ports system. The first Ed is an
easy to understand. The second is vi. More complex but real handy,
ones you know how to handle it.

The handbook holds more information. You wanna read at least chapter
1-4 http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

--  Best regards,  Alex
mailto:freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl