Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:05:03 -0500
From:      "barazani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What can be done in Command Line Interface?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Happy" <kuishin@singnet.com.sg>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 8:54 PM
Subject: What can be done in Command Line Interface?

Hi,
    I am a new user of freebsd 4.0. I have installed the OS but can  only
use the command line interface because of graphics card incompatibility. But
I decided to learn using the command line interface anyway.
    Can the things which can be done in GUI be done in command line ? e.g,
can we email,
>you can use th mail command , i personnally love the mutt email program ,
it runs in console ,it's a bit tricky to configure so you might wanna look
at pine first .
surf the net,
> you can use links to view html documents on the web
install new software,
> use the ports colletion
browse our hard-disk in command line?
> use ls , tree and any combination of find , grep and all .

Also,what are the editors and programming software which we can open and use
in command line interface ?
>well , I use vi for almost everything ( i even run it on windows ... ) but
you can use pico and emacs if you want a diffrent editor
>programming , i use perl and shell scripts but i guess you can program just
about everything with command line ...
>other things you can do are network sniffing using tcpdump , my favorite
and i bet there'sa lot more ....

    Please reply if you can. Thanks !!  :)

Yours faithfully,

Freebsd newbie