Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:29:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail and rc.conf

I've been unable to find a good explanation (and hope a guru will be kind
enough to provide one) regarding the best rc.conf option to choose if a
user just wants to be able to send mail.

If I choose sendmail_enable="NONE", I can send email and sockstat shows
port 25 open on the localhost. If I choose sendmail_enable="NO", port 25
no longer shows up but I appear to lose the ability to send mail. Is
"NONE" as good as it gets and does it leave port 25 all the way open or
just to the localhost?

Any comments, explanations, pointers to URLs? I don't think I'm the only
person out there confused about this.

Dru