Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 06:35:41 +0400
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2 fails to compile in strangest possible way

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 21:19:42 -0500, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 06:03:24PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > Have you ever tried going beyond that and actually run it?  Is it
> > meant to work?  Specifically, startup is kinda flaky, kwrited
> > starts and can't be (easily) killed, and konsole never starts a
> > shell and dies after a few seconds.
>
> Yes.  I've tested it to some extent.  Kwrited has problems, that's for
> sure... I don't use konsole though (kvt seems to be its usual self).

Make sure the bloody thing has a control terminal and that terminal
has -tostop.

I was playing with it (just to get an idea what the whole buzz is
about) so I added

    exec startkde

as my last line in .xinitrc and kwrited was dying on me and all sort
of weirdness happened.  After few experiments I figured I have to
comment out I/O redirection I do in .xinitrc and set the tty that I
ran startx on to -tostop mode (or KDE is blocked by TTOUT).  After
that it worked.

Hope this helps.

> > Aside from that, it's nice candy. 8)
>
> It certainly is.  :)

I'd rather not share my opinion ;-) Though, yes - it's an eyecandy ;-).

SY, Uwe