Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:33:46 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        Patricia Earlene Record <recorde@kirtland.cc.mi.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: os

Patricia,

> I am a single mother of three trying to find a new operating system for my
> laptop to free up my computer for my children.

Good for you. FreeBSD is a good choice for you, not just because it's a
nice OS, but you can easily install and run thousands of applications. It
will also make better use of your hardware.

The only price you pay for this is your time and effort learning to use
the system. If you've only ever used Windows, then it may seem strange at
first, but as you learn more it quickly becomes much easier to use and
manage your system.

There are lots of resources to help you, including documentation such as
the FreeBSD Handbook[1], this mailing list, FreeBSD IRC channels on
openprojects.net and local user groups.

> I was reading your web site and was wondering if you had a free version of
> this on 3.5 floppy disks. My laptop only has floppy. if you could help
> please let me know.

You can download data to put on two floppies which is sufficient to enable
you to install FreeBSD over the network. This is quite practical if you
have a reliable fast connection, though still possible if you have
dial-up.

Look through chapter two of the of the FreeBSD Handbook[1] - "Installing
FreeBSD", especially section 2.2.7 "Prepare the Boot Media"[2].

It is a good idea to know exactly what hardware you have in your system
before starting, both by looking at the hardware itself and getting
information of of your current installation. You should also check that
your hardware is supported[3].

> However, i am unable to purchase operating software because it is just to
> expensive and i cant afford to.

You will soon find out that it is usually true that the best software is
free.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-pre.html#INSTALL-FLOPPIES
[3] http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/hardware-i386.html