Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:10:47 -0800
From:      Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
To:        Phillip Neumann <pneumann@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nautilus doesnt show devices not listed on fstab

Phillip Neumann wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I just configure my system, so i can keep some double-clicks, so when
> i plug in my USB storage device, it mounts it automatically.
>
> Its done with usbd, where i put a entry like this on usbd.conf
>
> device "MY Device"
>         devname "umass[0-9]"
>         vendor  0x0fce
>         product 0xd028
>         release 0x0000
>         attach "export D=da`echo ${DEVNAME}|cut -c 6`s1 ; sleep 1; su
> killfill -c 'mkdir -p /tmp/w800'; su killfill -c 'mount_msdosfs -o
> longnames /dev/${D} /tmp/w800'"
>

> Yah, its pretty ugly, but it works ok. :-)
>
> i have no records in fstab, as i dont know offhand if the device will
> be on /dev/da0, 2 or 3...
> it will depend on when do i plug it, before or after other da* devices....
>
> Nautilus does not shows the drive on the desktop, as it did when it
> was configured with fstab.
>
> anyone happend to know how to configure this?
>
> im told, ubuntu and some linuxes does tell nautilus to show the
> mounted devices... i really dont know how, maybe its done with dbus?..
> no idea really. i have no other box to see it.
>
> can you point me to the right direction?

most likely Linux uses HAL for most of this type of stuff ... However if
the only problem you have with your current solution is not knowing the
actual device entry for your umass device, there is an option available
for you.

If you give your disk a proper "label" .. you can kldload geom_label
upon system boot .. and it will generate device entries similar to
/dev/ntfs/DataStorage (this is one of my disks on an NTFS file system).

I use the same mechanism for my UFS2 filesystems which end up as
/dev/label/root, /dev/label/swap, /dev/label/home, /dev/label/usr etc etc.

You can use these alternate /dev entries in your fstab without having to
know the normal physical device node.

Hopefully this can help you out a bit :)

--
  Pascal Hofstee