Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:06:20 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Marc Veldman <freebsd@planet.nl>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, Christophe Prevotaux <chris@hexanet.fr>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The importance of a correctly set time (was: Make buildworld fails)

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:23:33 +0200, Marc Veldman wrote:

> Maybe something for the tutorials/handbook/Complete FreeBSD ?

Perhaps.  It's quite likely to happen if you send in a complete
submission.

> *If your kernel/CMOS time is not set correctly, your 'make world' and
> 'make install' of various ports may fail in unexpected ways*

The problem is that incorrect system time can affect a good number of
things.  You've hit one of them.  We could address the one you hit in
the FAQ.  How do we address the next one that pops up, and the next one
after that?  Also, keep in mind that, as the world target evolves,
incorrect system time will brak world in different places, so it's very
difficult to formulate the right frequently asked question.

Ciao,
Sheldon.