Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:48:31 -0500
From:      parv@pair.com
To:        Happy <kuishin@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can be done in Command Line Interface?

in message <000801c1d20d$a8791580$3a837dcb@ajax>,
wrote Happy thusly...

> I am a new user of freebsd 4.0. I have installed the OS but can
> only use the command line interface because of graphics card
> incompatibility. But I decided to learn using the command line
> interface anyway.

that's the spirit!

> Can the things which can be done in GUI be done in command line ?

almost every thing could be done on command line except the obvious,
say, graphical browser or graphics program like gimp or xv.

> e.g, can we email,

to write/read, try pine or mutt.  to send, see postfix if sendmail
doesn't suit or meet your needs.  to retrieve, try fetchmail; others
prefer getmail instead.

> surf the net,

see w3m.  others have already mentioned other choices.

> install new software,

sure. portupgrade or pkg_* are command line based tools anyway.

> browse our hard-disk in command line?

system ls, midnight commander (mc), grep, find, etc.

> Also,what are the editors

vi, vim, emacs, xemacs, mg, jed, pico, nano.

> and programming software which we can
> open and use in command line interface ?

bourne shell (sh), bourne again shell (bash), kornShell (ksh), perl,
awk, sed.

all the above commands/programs are already on your system, or can
be installed from the ports collection.  mind you that above is not
an exhaustive list in any way.

what you should do is install the ports tree, if not already
installed.  then read "pkg-descr" named files under various
subdirectories of the "categories".  whatever suits your fancy,
install the particular piece of software.  experiment.

  - parv