Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:04:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
To:        Dave Boers <djb@wit389306.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        Dan Papasian <bugg@bugg.strangled.net>, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current lockups

> Interesting. I'll check my own archives of -current to see if I can find
> the discussion. I always thought that the "Lost Disk Contact" messages were
> due to the disk recalibrating itself after six days of continued use. After
> Soren increased the timeout from 5 to 10 seconds, I never saw the problem
> again, IIRC.

Six days?  Nah.. I had the problem occur anywhere from 5 minutes to 12
hours after a system boot.  Moved the 20G WD to UDMA33 channel, works
flawlessly.  Usually, I could reproduce the problem doing heavy disk
I/O. However, I one time was able to make it through a "make buildworld",
so that's not entirely true either.

> For the record, (see my mail elsewhere in the thread) I have recently added
> an U2W SCSI harddisk to the system (because I found that the UDMA
> effectively cuts off memory access for the two celeron's for long times and
> because the celeron's haven't got nearly enough cache they are effectively
> waiting for the IDE disk all the time) and I'm now running my root
> filesystem on that drive (as well as most of my other important
> filesystems). So I guess that if your assertion is right then my problem
> should have gone away now.  I haven't seen any "Lost Disk Contact" messages
> recently, however, though the UDMA66 drive is still connected.

For my record, I was unable to get dmesg output because the system was
completely hung.  Other people could get it because they had other drives
to write logging information too when the UDMA drive was locked.

---
Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
Alpha1 Internet <http://www.alpha1.net>;
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x42C74CBA *UPDATED PGP KEY 2/24/2000*

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.