Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:48:59 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Tim Pierce <twp@unchi.org>
Cc:        jseger@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building GCL on FreeBSD

> I was able to build it after playing with the build process for a
> day or so, but I did not change any signal-handling code.  Without
> knowing what's supposed to be broken, I'm not sure whether it's
> working or not.  I'll try experimenting with some signals and see
> whether they appear to be handled properly.

Cool!  Please send patches via send-pr (and a diff to me via
private email)!  Unless Bill Schelter made some very unusual
assumptions about signals there should be no breakage.  Also,
even a partially working gcl is useful as maxima really likes
gcl underneath it.

> Well, GCL has come highly recommended by the hardcore Lisp hackers
> I know on the strength of its compiler.  I know that CMUCL is also
> highly regarded, but I find its build process even more frustrating.

Yes, I have heard complaints of cmucl being hard to build but
on freebsd the work is done for you!  I just did "cd
/usr/ports/lang/cmucl; make && make install".  From a quick
scan of the maxima mailing list it seems that even though no
one wants to see GCL languish, it is essentially orphaned at
least until some one comes forward to maintain it.  Also note
that gcl is not Common Lisp compatible while cmucl and clisp are.

BTW, I couldn't build maxima with cmucl but it built fine
with clisp and passed a bunch of tests.  clisp is the slowest
of the three but that is okay with me; I am in it just for
the nostalgia (what would be really neat is to run macsyma
on ITS on a simulated pdp-10)!  See maxima.sourceforge.net.

-- bakul