Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:38:48 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Renaming our threads libs

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 05:27:16PM -0700, LI Xin wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> > We have little time before 7.0-RELEASE to get this right..
> >
> > For consistency and expectations from users (especially of other OS's),
> > should we ask RE@ to rename libpthread to libkse (or whatever) and rename
> > libthr to libpthread?  Remember - what we release 7.0 will be burned into
> > folks Makefile's and vernacular.
>
> Do you mean repocopy from src/lib/libpthread -> src/lib/libkse?  Because
> libpthread.so.X is now installed as a symbolic link to actual default
> threading library I think it would be an overkill to rename libthr to
> libpthread,

I think it is most clear when the name of the object someone wants (in
this case they call by the name libpthread) lives in src/lib/libpthread.
We've done a pretty good job in the BSD code tree of keeping things clean
like this.  Don't want to loose what I see as some of the value of BSD
developing.

Also renaming libthr to libpthread reduces confusion in say the output of
'ldd /usr/bin/csup'.

> but to reduce confusion it might be better to rename
> lib/libpthread to lib/libkse.

Yes that at a mininum.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)