Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:44:48 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        synker@sanyusan.se (synker)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update bootblocks with dedicated disks?

synker wrote:

> Is there any difference in updating my boot blocks because I run all my
> machines with 'dangerously dedicated' disks.
>
> Or could I just follow Robert Nordier's boot.txt?
>
> When I installed my boxes I choosed dedicated disks and just marked the
> root disks bootable during setup.

The disklabel command should handle this transparently.  I've updated
boot.txt to mention dangerously dedicated disks.

> Myabe this is not the right place for this question but I am not sure
> where to ask it otherwise.

This is probably the right place, at least until everything is fully-
documented.

> My machines run, -current, -stable, 3.0-RELEASE, 2.2.5-RELEASE.

I've used the new boot blocks, together with /boot/loader, on a 2.2.5
machine myself.  So, once you have the binaries, you could even
install them on all the machines, if you wanted to.  Though, apart
from consistency (or if you want multiple FreeBSD slices per disk),
I guess there's really no compelling reason to do this.

--
Robert Nordier