Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:35:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sean Farley <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow I/O responsiveness with UDMA133

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:34, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Sean Farley wrote:
>
> > With write cache enabled it does perform better, but I would like
> > the new computer to at least equal the old system without it
> > enabled.
>
> With all due respect, whether that's a reality isn't your choice, it's
> the drive's choice. :)

I am sorry, but I do not give my computer components freedom of choice.
:)

I just do not understand how a 5400 RPM UDMA 33 drive can beat a 7200
RPM UDMA 133 drive by 33% on sequential output blocks.

> Does the drive support tagged queueing?  That should give you the
> benefits of write caching with a little bit more safety.

I thought only IBM had IDE drives which supported tags.  No.  The specs
do not mention tags.

Another question, I see that in the archives that enabling IDE Prefetch
was not good.  Has this changed?  I currently have it turned off in the
BIOS.

Hmm, I see that S=F8ren mentions it should be kept on:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&lr=3Dlang_en&ie=3DUTF-8&selm=3D2002=
01091654.g09GsG703561_freebsd.dk%40ns.sol.net
OTOH, he says that the ATA driver automatically turns it on.

BTW, would there happen to be a preferred BIOS setup page for FreeBSD?
I have already scanned through the docs.

Sean