Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      X Philius <xphilius@yahoo.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        jslivko@4evermail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best upgrade path from 4.1 Release to 4.4 Release, via CVsup if    possible

Kent,
Cool, I'll give that a try. I just started syncing source up to 4.4 Release. I must say, I am a
little confused. My understanding was that the problem with going from 4.1 to 4.4 was that the
build process required binaries that I did not have in my 4.1 system. I took this to mean that I
would have to be completely upgraded to 4.2 before the I could build 4.4. If the build process
does not depend on binaries outside of /usr/src, then how come I couldn't just upgrade in one
step? I am guessing that the compiler and assiciated scripts are smart enough to use binaries in
/usr/obj even if they are not installed on the system. That seems to be the only possible answer.
I'll keep you posted.

Jason

PS- I answered a suggestion from Jonathon Slivko on this same thread and mistakenly referred to
you as Stan, dunno where I got that name from. Just want to give credit where credit is due.

PPS- Jonathon, sorry for the unsolicited CC, but It looks like you and Kent (not Stan) are both
regulars.