Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 19:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        peter@wemm.org
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp-master method

In article <20010506213812.3BAFE380E@overcee.netplex.com.au>,
Peter Wemm  <peter@wemm.org> wrote:

> One gripe I have with rsync itself is that it seems to build its file
> lists right from the start and holds them in memory.. It then streams
> the updates.  This means that rsyncd consumes about 50-60MB of ram on the
> server at all times (for an update).  It does its delete pass right at then
> end, if nothing went wrong.
>
> Does cvsupd do better?  (ie: transfer the file list incrementally?)

Yes, it does.  When doing rsync-style updates it still uses the
streaming model shown in the diagram at

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/howsofast.html

Updates for the first files will be coming in while the file list is
still streaming out in the other direction.

> One thing does bother me though, is that cvsup tends to ignore files
> that didn't exist.  Having cvsup 'take over' maintainence of an
> existing (out of date) tree seems likely to leave behind lots of
> leftovers.

You're right.  I hadn't thought of that problem with respect to the
FTP tree.  We certainly don't want to make people repopulate their
zillion-GB FTP trees.

> You have script to clean this up, right?

Yes, there is a script "cvsupchk" which does exactly that in the
contrib subdirectory of the CVSup distribution (thanks to Joseph
Koshy).

> Or does cvsup have an even stronger "mirror" mode that will get all
> this stuff?

Not currently.  But this makes it a higher priority.  It's not that
hard in principle.  Hmm ...

> The archive has got 5 or 6 checked out trees in it, including
> several source checkouts, mailing list archives and the ncvs tree.
> cvsupd can use the checkouts.cvs file to load the metadata for the
> ,v files quickly, right? (pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS/*,
> including a sup/ dir).

Yes, definitely.  It will use its RCS file algorithm on RCS files
and rsync on other files.

John