Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 07:48:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>, current@FreeBSD.org, Cat Okita <cat@ki.net>, Geoff Davidson <geoff@ki.net>
Subject:   Re: MotherBoard Jumper Settings...

> >DX4s are clock trippled chips.  The clock setting was correct the
> >first time. A DX4100 runs at 99.999MHz.
>
>    Oh, yes, of course - 3 * 33.3 = 100. Okay, so it's been a long day. :-)

This was one of the few things that was correct - he still had his
cache set wrong and a jumper mis-set.

And actually, I would also run this at 75Mhz until I was sure of the
chip - my friend Chuck got a "DX4/100" recently which didn't behave at
all well with FreeBSD; same symptoms as Marc's.  Then we clocked it to
75Mhz and it worked (and has continued to work) smoothly.  We looked
at the chip again more closely (we had to peel the stupid sticker off
of it first before we could read the numbers) and found that he'd been
sold a DX4/75 as a DX4/100.  A lot of this kinda thing going around.

						Jordan