Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 19:17:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        alexandr@louie.udel.edu (Jerry Alexandratos)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCVT Help

>From the keyboard of Jerry Alexandratos:

> I've compiled a kernel with the options that I want, but I'm never
> satisfied.  I want MORE!  8)  I find the default colors to be lacking.

Hmm - i don't quite understand what you want to say, what are the
"default colours" ?

There is support for colour in pcvt, uudecode and gunzip the file
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/demo/colors.vt.gz.uu and cat it to one of
pcvt's screens on a color display and you'll see .. ;-)

Another story is, that these sequences have not yet been integrated
into the termcap entry.

> I would also prefer not to have to fool with scon -p all the time to
> set some of the basic colors.  What I wondering is if there's any
> documentation on how to set the color in the source code or with an
> `options' statement in the kernel config file?

See above. There is also a escape sequence available to change the colour
assignments at runtime if pcvt was compiled with option PCVT_SETCOLOR,
if you cannot find out the syntax of the sequences enabled by this by looking
at pcvt_out.c, you'll have to ask Bruce Evans - i included it in ancient
times because he requested it :-)

> Likewise, what about assigning key codes?

man kcon(1), man keycap(3), man keycap(5).

> And how would I go about setting up the Latin-1 and/or DEC code page
> support for PCVT?

It does already fully support Latin-1 and DEC MCS, you just have to load
the fonts, see man loadfont(1).

Also have a look at /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Doc and
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Etc/rc.local on an example of a startup file.

After you are done, uudecode and gunzip the file
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/demo/chardemo.vt.gz.uu and cat it to a pcvt screen
and you'll see what you have!

Hope this helps,
hellmuth
--