Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 05:56:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Luigi's 'cdda' patches for 3.0-CURRENT...

> 	Right now, I'm trying to use cdda for pulling the tracks, which
> appears to do a nice job of it, but somewhere along the way, I suspect
> that my files aren't coming out right.

> 	I do:
>
> 	cdda <track> > <file>

At this point

    pcmio +play,44100,s16,stereo <file>

should play the track to the audio device (setting the right speed
and mode) so you should know if it works... (pcmio is in the misc/
directory of my audio driver distribution)

the second thing is that most ATAPI drives need jitter compensation and
i am not sure cdda does it (i mentioned this program erroneously, it is
probably cdd which you should look for, and patch to use this atapi
code).

> 	sox -t cdr <file> <file>.aiff
> 	mpeg_musicin -b 128 -p 2 -l 3 <file>.aiff <file>.mp3

the only time i tried it, dist10 (from where mpeg_musicin comes from)
had endiannes problems... that might explain the "static" you are
getting (btw it is loud or low volume ?)

> 	I'm going to try tosha w/ patches next, but considering that both
> 'sox' and 'mpeg_musicin' appear to be pretty "standard", my suspicion is

modulo the endianness problems to mpeg_musicin...

	cheers
	luigi