Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 11:50:11 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automated ports upgrading...

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 04:18:31PM -0500, David S. Jackson wrote:
> I'm still reading about portupgrade, but do I understand
> correctly that this tool will relieve one of the task of manually
> upgrading by hand everything from pkg_version -v | grep '<'
> ??

Basically, yes.
Or you can run "portversion -vL=" for the same list of packages
that are not up to date.

> Or is there still a better way that I haven't understood?

You can just run "portupgrade -a" and it will upgrade everything
that needs upgrading.
If there are some ports that you'd rather not upgrade, or would
like to upgrade them by hand, use "portupgrade -ia".

Ceri

--
get the cool shoe shine