Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:49:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ulric Eriksson <ulric@edu.stockholm.se>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: siag help (Sorry to be a pest)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	Rather than building siag from the orignal sources, I am using packages
> 	from different OS distributins. I started off with a Debian/Linux one.
> 	Then I reminded myself that I don;t put critical apps on a Linux box.
> 	Trashing X on it by doing an upgrade was a pretty good reminder.

I put critical apps on Linux all the time. The Stockholm MAN would come to
a screeching halt if it weren't for Linux.

Then again, I don't use distributions. Which brings me to this suggestion:

1. Get the sources for Xaw3d and Siag from
	ftp://ftp.edu.stockholm.se/pub/siag/
2. Read Xaw3d's README and Siag's INSTALL.
2. Compile and install Xaw3d following the instructions.
3. Compile and install Siag like this:
	./configure
	make
	make install

I know that the above works, because it is how I do it on Linux, Solaris
and NetBSD. If FreeBSD is reasonably similar to other Unices, there
shouldn't be any problems there either. And you get the latest version,
and it'll work with the shared libraries on your system. Installing from
sources is great, it is the ultimate dependency maintenance system.

BTW, I looked at the screenshots but they looked like black dots on a dark
blue background. ;-) The best format for screenshots is GIF, or JPEG if
there are many colours. But never mind that: from what I could see, they
appeared to be version 3.0.6 or somesuch, which is a bit old. And FreeBSD
was apparently built without Xaw3d. The best thing to do about that would
be if the FreeBSD maintainer added Xaw3d as a requirement. Here is a quote
from topdir.mk (part of the Siag configuration):

# #####
# Siag et al were written for the Xaw3d widget set. They can be compiled
# with standard Athena widgets, but it will look awful.
# Uncomment this if you want to use Xaw3d widgets
XAWLIB=-lXaw3d

Xaw3d is so useful anyway that many other programs would benefit from it.

Ulric