Date:      19 Oct 2001 13:11:29 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loads on a Web/Shell Server

Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com> writes:

> The load averages are, at best, a comparative indication of the change in
> load of one system over time. Unless your system is really unresponsive,
> you needn't pay much attention to the load averages. If your system IS
> really unresponsive, make a note of the load average, and see what is
> eating all of your resources.

My desktop system usually has load < 0.10, but under 4.2 & 4.3, it would
a few times per day jump up to hover around 1.0 for about 20 minutes.
Network device lights show no internet traffic, "ps" and "top" show
nothing using unusual CPU or memory.  Xosview (which runs continually)
shows nothing unusual.  In several weeks with 4.4, I've only seen this
once, IIRC.  Any ideas what could cause that behavior?  (I'm fairly sure
that my system monitoring tools (or anything else) have not been cracked.)