Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:46:18 -0500
From:      Eric Windisch <fbsd@grokthis.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with freebsd nfsd and irix client

I am having difficulty with an nfsd running on FreeBSD and an irix client.

I am unable to sucessfully call the getcwd() function as a non-root user in the mounted directory.

For instance:
raptor@DaVinci:/> which ls
/usr/gnu/bin/ls

raptor@DaVinci:/> cd /home/raptor
raptor@DaVinci:~> which ls
Cannot determine current working directory

Root can execute getcwd() in /home and its subdirectories, only non-root users are having the problem. I tried changing the permissions to 777 on /home and /home/raptor on the server's side.. and made the mountpoint /home on the client also 777, the error still continued.

I get an error from make, saying it doesn't have permission to call getcwd().

I guess the question is if it is an irix or freebsd problem and how/if it can be fixed. I saw mention of a problem with Linux nfsd and irix and the getcwd() command, a very small mention.. but it said it should be fixed in latest versions, furthermore.. it only occured with nfs3, nfs2 worked. I have tried nfs2 and 3, neither has worked.

Any ideas ? :)

--
Eric Windisch
http://bwbohh.net