Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:59:32 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        rlyon@ozemail.com.au, hey@tuns.ca, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

James Raynard wrote:

> > > You need to run xdm from /etc/rc.local (not, contrary to some
> > > documentation somewhere, from /etc/ttys).
> > >

> > The XFree readme file recommends /etc/ttys.
>
> Yes, that was the documentation I had in mind. I have been told, on
> good authority, that it should not be run from /etc/ttys, but can't
> remember the reason offhand.

If you put it in /etc/rc (or rc.lcoal) and anything goes wrong with
your X Windows (/tmp/.X0-lock doesn't get removed, mouse gets unplugged,
mouse doesn't probe right, XF86Config gets updated incorrectly, etc.)
then you will get one error message and then a text login screen.  If it
is in the /etc/ttys, you will get three errors with three graphics/text
screen switches every minute or so until you correct the problem.  This
is a pain to correct while it is switching.  Also if your system gets
rebooted remotely (or crashes) and the monitor is normally left on
(in power-saver mode), it could potentially do this for a long time
without anyone fixing it (this can't be good for the poor monitor).

--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798