Date:      13 Mar 2002 20:36:55 +0300
From:      "Vladimir B. " Grebenschikov <vova@express.ru>
To:        BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
Cc:        Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unionfs and getcwd problem.

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 00:47, BOUWSMA Beery wrote:

> Thanks!  I'm pleased to report that I applied your patch to my
> -stable source, and now I'm able to `make buildworld' with my
> rw unionfs mount of my local hacks, atop a ro nullfs mount with
> unaltered source, which I'm doing right now.
>
> The only obvious `problem' is when a non-r00t user attempts to
> access the union-mounted fs when the shadow directories have not
> yet been created, and `permission denied' is returned for all
> directories that exist below, but not in the unionfs fs.  E.g.:

Yes, it is because of feature of unionfs to create shadow directories
with credentionals of proceses doing "rise" operation.

And if process have no permissions to write into parent directory
operation fail.

One of possible workarounds do as root find /union/mount/point
to create all shadow directories.

Another solution is to change behaviour of unionfs to use root-cred
while make shadows, and then put attributes/ownership from lower layer
to shadows.
(but this will take a bit of kernel hacking)

--
TSB "Russian Express", Moscow
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov, vova@express.ru