Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:36:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Almonds <cjalmond@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS server error messages...What do they mean

All,

I hav configured 5 NFS servers.  I have each server
setup as a client and a server with the default
switches specified in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

I periodically get the following error message when
booting one of the servers.

CAnnont send MNT PRC: PRC: port mapper
failure-rpc:timeout.

Since I have "5" NFS servers setup on the same network
do I need to configure the servers with different
options in /etc/defaults/rc.conf?

Can a server also be configured as a client with no
issues?

I know someone will ask.   So, the reason why I am
doing this is to test a hardware network device.  So,
I am using NFS to copy files from one machine to the
other.

I have 5 machines setup 1,2,3,4,5.  I set up the
mounts via NFS as follows
1 to 2
2 to 3
3 to 4
4 to 5
5 to 1
I then copy data in the following pattern at the same
time.
1 to 2
2 to 3
3 to 4
4 to 5
5 to 1
I leave this running for 24 hours at least.

I also get an error message that sometimes the NFS
server has stopped responding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Curtis