Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 07:40:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjam@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsdelm@we.lc.ehu.es, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Magneto-optical disks

On Sat, 23 Mar 1996, Borja Marcos wrote:

I think this should probably go into the FAQ or Handbook, and perhaps
specifically list the DynaMO on the hardware compatibility list.

> 	Does FreeBSD 2.1 (RELEASE) support Fujitsu DynaMO 230 drives?
> If not... does it support any magneto-optical or WORM drive?

Yes, it does.  Dip switch 4 ("Device mode") has a factory setting of
Closed ("Optical").  You need to set it to Open ("HDD").

That done, when you boot with -v, you will see something like:

   ahc0: target 6 synchronous at 5.0MB/s, offset = 0xf
   (ahc0:6:0): "FUJITSU M2512A 1314" type 0 removable SCSI 2
   sd3(ahc0:6:0): Direct-Access
   sd3(ahc0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB sks:c0,4
   sd3 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
   217MB (446325 512 byte sectors)
   sd3(ahc0:6:0): with 217 cyls, 64 heads, and an average 32 sectors/track

You can safely ignore the error message, and FreeBSD will treat it as a
removable hard drive.

On a side note, I've noticed that sysinstall scans all hard drives when
it runs, whether or not they are mounted.  Because of this, you will not
be able to eject the MO while sysinstall is running, even if it is not
mounted.

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503