Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 05:32:38 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011267159.98dd44@mired.org>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: "Cluster" administration software...

Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> types:
> Well, I don't plan to run portupgrade --all from crontab, but
> something like
> portupgrade --everything-on=http://myrepository/packages
> for sure would be nice, i.e. specifying a custom repository of
> packages which are known to be working as you've built them yourself
> on one of your test boxes and now you just need to distribute them
> over your farm...

Portupgrade can do part of that for you. If you tell it to use
packages, it will check for them locally, and if that fails it uses
pkg_fetch to fetch the package. pkg_fetch, like pkg_add, uses the
environment variable PACKAGEROOT to specify where to look for
packages. So the syntax is something like

PACKAGEROOT=http://myrepository/packages portupgrade --use-packages-only --all

That leaves the problem of installing the package the first time, and
ignores the *other* problems you've pointed out with portupgrade.

	<mike