Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:58:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rob <rob@thechain.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am desperate please help my hdd

On Saturday, 13 October 2001 at 19:02:13 -0400, Rob wrote:
> I am writing this mailing list in a desperate attempt to find out how to
> restore my hdd with out loosing all the data on it.  Recently I added two
> additional hard drives to my freebsd 4.2 system.  Once I booted up my system
> and dl'ed some things with wget a bunch of errors occurred resulting in
> "kernel panic" and then system halt.  When I rebooted I get and error and
> cannot boot freebsd

Once is enough.  -hackers is not for this sort of question.

> error:
>
> Verifying DMI Pool Data .........
>>
> int=00000000  err=00000000  efl=00010246  eip=00001b2c
> eax=00000002  ebx=00000002  ecx=00006564  edx=00000000
> esi=00094cdc  edi=000022bf  ebp=00094cbc  esp=00094ca4
> cs=002b  ds=0033  es=0033  fs=0033  gs=0033  gs=0033  ss=0033
> cs:eip=f7 35 98 24 00 00 89 c7-89 f9 0f af 0d 9c 24 00
> ss:esp=00 00 00 00 e0 4c 09 00-dc 4c 09 00 bf 22 00 00
> BTX halted

This looks like a boot block problem.  I can't see how it fits in with
what you said you did.

> to try to fix this problem I installed a minimal install of fbsd on another
> hdd and ran
> fsck /dev/ad1a which said this:
> ** /dev/ad1a
> BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST
> ALTERNATE
> /dev/ad1a: INCOMPLETE LABEL: type 4.2BSD fsize 0, frag 0, cpg 0, size
> 9809920

Did you do this while it was mounted?  You shouldn't do that.  You'll
get bogus error messages because fsck goes straight to the disk and
ignores buffer cache.  If it's not mounted, then it looks like you
have overwritten your primary superblock.  There should be a backup
one at offset 32.  Try:

  # fsck -b 32 -n /dev/ad1a

The -n will stop fsck from trying to change anything.  This is
important for badly mutilated file systems, since fsck is stupid
enough to make things worse.

> Although it doesn't really help I can still df -h it;
> df /dev/ad1a prints:
> Filesystem	Size	Used	Avail	Capacity	Mounted on
> /dev/ad1a	4.5G	1.5G	2.7G	36%
>
> fdisk /dev/ad1a prints:
> *****Working on device /dev/ad1a *********
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=621 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> parameters to be used for BIOS calclations are:
> cylinders=621 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
> 	start 0, size 50000 (24 meg), flag 80 (active)
> 		beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 1;
> 		end:cyl 1023/ head 255/ sector 63

That's normal enough.

> Is the data on my hdd completely unrecoverable?

We don't know yet.

> Is there anyway I could mount the partion?
>
> mount /dev/ad1a /blah (/blah is a directory) prints this:
>
> mount: /dev/ad1a on /blah: incorrect super block

You can try mounting it read-only:

  # mount -o ro /dev/ad1a /mnt

but probably you'll get the same error.

On Monday, 15 October 2001 at  2:08:31 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Rob <rob@thechain.com> wrote:
>> fsck /dev/ad1a which said this:
>
> You are probably looking in the wrong place for a partition table.
> Try this:
>
> 	# fdisk /dev/ad1

That is incorrect.  That would look on a slice.  We put file systems
in partitions, such as /dev/ad1a.

>> ** /dev/ad1a
>> BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST
>> ALTERNATE
>> /dev/ad1a: INCOMPLETE LABEL: type 4.2BSD fsize 0, frag 0, cpg 0, size
>> 9809920
>
> Are you using the disk in ``dangerously dedicated mode''?

This has nothing to do with dedicated mode.  The fdisk output above
shows that he is using a Microsoft partition table.

> Otherwise your partition table of /dev/ad1 should show some slice,
> like /dev/ad1s1 and your BSD filesystems should have names like
> /dev/ad1s1a, /dev/ad1s1d, etc.

No, /dev/ad1a is a "compatibility partition" and represents partition
a of the first FreeBSD slice.

> What other disks are on your system?  If this is your only disk, why
> is BSD on /dev/ad1 and not on /dev/ad0?

Well, he did explain that he was adding disks.  But you'll also find
the system on /dev/ad1a if you have a Microsoft platform on ad0.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.