Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:39:26 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        xphilius@yahoo.com
Cc:        jslivko@4evermail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best upgrade path from 4.1 Release to 4.4 Release, via CVsup if     possible

X Philius wrote:

> Kent,
> Cool, I'll give that a try. I just started syncing source up to 4.4 Release. I must say, I am a
> little confused. My understanding was that the problem with going from 4.1 to 4.4 was that the
> build process required binaries that I did not have in my 4.1 system. I took this to mean that I
> would have to be completely upgraded to 4.2 before the I could build 4.4. If the build process
> does not depend on binaries outside of /usr/src, then how come I couldn't just upgrade in one
> step? I am guessing that the compiler and assiciated scripts are smart enough to use binaries in
> /usr/obj even if they are not installed on the system. That seems to be the only possible answer.
> I'll keep you posted.

The build process bootstraps itself using code from /usr/obj. You don't
have the proper bootstrap code. I think that you would have to do a
complete build of 4.2. You need an update user land and you add that as
the last thing in the upgrade.

The bootstrap problem was fixed in one of the recent additions to
4.4-stable. Your problem is trying to go to 4.4-release, which doesn't
have the proper makefiles that will build from the older version.

Kent