Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 19:17:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BitS <bits@oldwarez.com>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD load handling and responsivness

--0-514894932-907802274=:10502

Jordan,

	I've been running FreeBSD for about a year and a half now, and
recently ran into some problems with ram... after realizing it was
probably the ram causing these problems, I swapped it out and began the
wait to see if the problems would persist... after a short wait decided I
need to put the machine through its paces and see if I could bring the
problem to the surface...  Well, I couldn't get it to show itself, but.. I
was astonished to see that the box lived through it.  So... thanks to you
and the rest of the fbsd team for contributing to a great OS.  Through all
of the load I put on the machine, it would still switch consoles without
hesitation, and a control-c killed the parent process immediatly,
returning the bots to a normal usable state.  Below is my load average
done immediatly following my massive forking...

bits@chaos:~>uptime
 6:51PM  up  1:12, 5 users, load averages: 917.77, 875.69, 572.58
bits@chaos:~>

That was after about 10 mins of running the program, the source of which
is attached.

For some extra info, heres my uname -a:
bits@chaos:~>uname -a
FreeBSD chaos.schizo.com 3.0-BETA FreeBSD 3.0-BETA #0: Mon Oct  5 11:42:19
EDT 1998     bits@chaos.schizo.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/ChaosKern  i386

Awesome work on the OS, keep up the good work... PLEASE! :)

David

David Wimsey
Network Engineer			dwimsey@rtci.com
Research Triangle Consultants, Inc	919-380-9771x3101
http://www.rtci.com			http://www.schizo.com
He who laughs last, is slow.

--0-514894932-907802274=:10502

I2luY2x1ZGUgPHN0ZGlvLmg+DQojaW5jbHVkZSA8c3lzL3R5cGVzLmg+DQoj
aW5jbHVkZSA8dW5pc3RkLmg+DQoNCnZvaWQgbWFpbih2b2lkKQ0Kew0KZmxv
YXQgeHg9MDsNCmZsb2F0IHp6PTA7DQpGSUxFICpmcDsNCiB3aGlsZSgxKQ0K
ew0KCWZvcmsoKTsNCglwcmludGYoICJmb3JrZWQiICk7DQoJZnByaW50Zigg
c3RkZXJyLCAiZm9ya2VkIiApOw0KCXh4Kys7IHp6Kys7DQoJeHg9enoqenov
eHgrMTsNCgl4eD16eioyOw0KCWZwPWZvcGVuKCAiL3Vzci9ob21lL2JpdHMv
ZGVhdGgiLCAiciIpOwkJDQoJZmNsb3NlKCBmcCApOw0KfQkNCg0KfQ0K
--0-514894932-907802274=:10502--