Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 15:11:15 -0500
From:      "Timothy Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Need Win2k and (want) FreeBSD on the same laptop.... suggestions

I'm a longtime Unix user (NeXTSTEP and OpenStep for about 8 years) and
really love the stability and being able to get under the hood.

However, I do not have much experience with the FreeBSD aspect of things
(cvsup, compiling kernel, etc).

Currently I have my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7500) setup to dual boot Win2k and
FBSD 4.3.  There are three 10-gb partitions:

	1) NTFS (C: under Win2k)
	2) Fat32 (D: under Win2k, r/w under FreeBSD)
	3) FreeBSD 4.3

My choices:

1) Keep the dual boot: I've learned that I should re-partition the drive to
have a partition to use for suspend under FreeBSD.  Also I used the default
slices for installation, which left me a 20mg /var partition... but
reinstalling Win2k and FreeBSD is not a big deal.

2) Run FreeBSD under Win2k using vmware: In some respects this seems like
the best option for me to learn... I'm a bit concerned about screwing up my
Win2k setup though, esp. when it starts asking about making slices during
the installation setup.  If I were going to do this, I think I'd reformat
the drive as one NTFS partition though.

3) Run Win2k under FreeBSD using vmware: This is what I'd most like to do,
but I wonder how feasible it is.  I have USB: printers, a CD-RW drive, and
SmartMedia reader; and I have a wireless Ethernet setup... all of this works
very easily under Win2k.

Anyway, I was looking for others who have done something like this, esp.
those who know about limitations of FreeBSD (or Win2k) under vmware... (are
there other programs like vmware out there?)

Thanks
TjL