Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:42:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Administrator IPA <administrator@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        "Dreamtime.net Inc." <clients@dreamtime.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, =?iso-8859-1?B?ocKhTWFv?= <pcdvd.master@msa.hinet.net>, <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SMP Error in VIA 694 based bord

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Dreamtime.net Inc. wrote:

> The board we have is the Thunder LE S2510 using a serverworks chipset.

Hello.

Well, we use two SMP motherboards of the 'accused' typ you mentioned above, one
is a ASUS CUV4X-D (VIA Chipset) and one is a TYAN Thunder 2500/Slot 1 technique
mainboard. With the VIA chipset based mobo we never have had any kind of problem,
but a lot with the TYAN, but those problems were 'selfmade'. IRQ routing on the
mobo backplain seems to be a focus of the board designer, not the chipset itself.
Our TYAN 2500 has a lot of problems when using an additional fxp-type NIC (Intel
EtherExpress Server NIC in addition to the built-in one) and when I did a firmware
update of the AMI Enterprise 1600 MegaRAID controller. Moving it to its appropriate
66MHz/64Bit PCI slot and 'juggling' with the slot for the second NIC solves the problems,
this machine is one of the stablest machines around here, no spontanous reboot within
the last 6 months and I keep on track with 4.5-STABLE (update this day). Yes, I HAD
a lot of problems with the TYAN, but these problems were solveable problems.

Maybe the VIA chipset based TYAN boards has the same problems like the ServerWorks
chipsets and a 'relatively sure' behaviour is to detect this:

spontanous reboots or a reboot when heavy network duty is a factor or when massive
SCSI/ATA activities are given. Crashing like a clockwork sounds like that: check
your /etc/crontab to see what jobs are done regularyliy at this time the system
crashes ... I checked this also and I found out, that our reboots were done always
within a 'narrow defined' time window ...

Hope this is not a heap of trash what I said ...

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)