Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange Nat/DNS? problem

> First, where are your DNS servers? Inside or outside of your NAT'ed
> net? I would guess outside? I thought you said that you _could_ ping
> any machine outside though? Are we talking about DNS lookups on the
> NAT machine or on the private net?

	Yes, sorry. The DNS servers are OUTSIDE my Nat'd network. BUT I
can ping any other server by IP address I want too... I just can not ping
the DNS servers from inside. They're pingable from outside just fine... My
Windows machine exibits the same behavior so I believe it to be a NAT
problem vs. DNS... below are my settings.

:rc.local

network_interfaces="auto"

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 216.36.55.89 netmask 255.255.0.0"
ifconfig_de0="inet 198.162.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0"
gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
nat_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"           #Public interface
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"  #addition flags for natd
defaultrouter="216.36.55.1"
#router_enable="YES"
hostname="heorot.grendal.org"
linux_enable="YES"