Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:56:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help, I've broken ports and I can't get up

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Doug Poland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently moved my ports hierarchies with the following command:
>
> 	# tar -cf - -C ports . | tar xpf - -C /data/usr/ports
>
> Unfortunately, when I do a:
>
> 	# make search name=<anything here>
>
> it always returns nothing.
>
> I've obviously broken something but reading the README and
> handbook has not revealed the cause or solution.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated

You can set the PORTSDIR environmental variable to your new
location.  Or perhaps you're already done that.

However, make search still won't work.  When I move my ports
directory I patch the bsd.port.subdir.mk file.  My patch lets
make search work, but I have had trouble building some ports--
trouble that went away when I moved the ports collection back
to its conventional location. Since my patch changes only the
search target in bsd.port.subdir.mk, I conclude that changing
PORTSDIR fails somewhere else as well.  So I now avoid moving
the ports collection.

I had better luck with what I think was the DISTDIR variable,
which might help if you're concerned with space on a file system,
as distfiles can take quite a lot of space.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC