Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 01:43:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HSFLinModem: Anyone want to help teach me how?

Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Hello,
>     I've just joined this list in the last few days, but was wondering
> if anyone out there wanted to help teach me how I/we could port the HSF
> LinModem code from LINUX to FreeBSD.  I have one of the recognized PCI
> ID's in my Laptop, but don't even know where to start with interfacing
> with the FreeBSD kernel.
>
>     I'm willing to do it, but I've never done Kernel programming before.
> I'm also very willing to help test.

Start with the Rockwell supplied Linux drivers.  They actually have
a BSD compatible source license, so they could be included with a
BSD ditribution in binary form, without making the kernel illegal
due to clause 6 of the GPL being incompatible with BSD licenses.

Also, make sure that you have the right identification from Windows
or some other method.  I have a modem in my laptop that most UNIX
software claims is an HSF, but is in reality an HCF (e.g. almost
all Sony laptops in recent history have a Rockwell (Connectix) HCF
in them).

Note that Rockwell has HCF drivers for Linux, in source code, under
the same BSD-happy license, for download from their web site.

-- Terry