Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:43:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: DSL natd rules....

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, William Woods wrote:

> Hmmm....
>
> Well I was planning on running NAT from the cisco to the FreeBSD
> router/gateway/firewall and then NATD on the router gateway to deliver to the
> rest of the LAN. This is a bad thing I take it?

1) The extra overhead of double-processing packets
2) Setting up static NAT or redirected ports becomes a nightmare
3) You're limited by what the DSL modem can NAT; at least on FreeBSD you
   have the source to hack :)

> What would you reccomend doing to get around this?

Finding an ISP in your area that does bridged, or dropping NAT from the
BSD box and letting the router take care of that.

I have a bridged DSL connection so I don't have this problem :)

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org