Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:23:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

The port idea is an interesting one -- I actually played with some similar
ideas for the FreeBSD hardening project I was working on a couple of years
ago.  A port would provide an interface to select its behavior, and then
strip down components of the system reflecting the needs of the
administrator.  For example, disable services, setuid binaries, clamp down
on directory permissions (especially the user skeleton directory impacting
account creation properties).

I'd like to see the following, with that idea in mind:

1) inetd is disabled in /etc/defaults/rc.conf (probably already is that
   way)
2) It can be enabled in sysinstall by turning on Internet network servers
   in some or another configuration location.
3) Creation of a ports/security/harden port which provides a dialog-like
   front end for managing mtree application to the base system, allowing
   disabling of unneeded services.
4) In the long run, moving towards a more granular installation of base
   system components -- i.e., keep services such as rsh/telnet/etc in the
   CVS repo and "part of FreeBSD" but allow them to be installed/not
   installed via sysinstall, and toggled via matching make.conf entries.

And we need to think of a name for these services, such as
"Cryptography-free Internet Servers" and "Cryptography-free Internet
Clients" :-).

  Robert N M Watson