Date:      03 Aug 2002 20:57:36 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Seth Hieronymus <sethh@principia.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just installed xscreensaver-gnome-4.05, no screensaver ingnomecontrolcenter and X has just hung

Hi Seth,
   Thanks for the reply.

I think I've got the etherape problem figured out. I do have /dev/bpf
compiled in the kernel, with the correspondingly correct permissions.

The error is probably due to the fact that I attempted to run etherape
as a non-root user, but only root has access to /dev/bpf. In X, I'll
need to run etherape from the command line as root.

I have two FBSD boxes running DNS, mail, ntp, ipfw, & nat to name a few,
but I also have a couple of FBSD clients along with W2K boxes, so
therein lies my hopes of installing some sort of screensaver on the
client ones though.

I notice that no-one (worryingly, including xscreensaver-gnome's
maintainer) has even bothered to inform me of just what the problem is
with the port, though. I know the lists go like that sometimes, so like
I said, I've uninstalled it, and I'll probably look around for something
else that's FBSD compatible, and that works.

Thanks again Seth.

Stacey