Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:40:19 -0700
From:      Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install floppy kernel hangs on bootup at PLIP0

The subject line says it all.  If I can get to the install menu I
intend to upgrade from 4.3-RELEASE to 4.4-RELEASE.  Oddly, there was
no such problem using 4.3 install floppies.  I've searched through
the archives and found people with a similar problem, but found no
definitive answer.  I tried disabling the parallel port in the Award
BIOS, but no joy.  I also disabled it in the FreeBSD configuration
menu, but then it seems to hang at SIO instead.  Here's the detailed
hardware setup:

ASUS P2B-N
PIII 600 Slot 1
128MB RAM
10GIG IDE IBM Hard drive
Floppy
Slim CD ROM
Onboard ATI Rage PRO 8MB
Onboard ESS Solo-1TM 3D positional PCI Audio
Onboard Intel 82558 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Controller Supports Wake-On
LAN
PCI 3COM 905B 10/100 Card
Latest Bios Installed

Detailed Motherboard Info:

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b-n/index.html

Motherboard Info:

Processor

       Single Slot 1 for Intel PentiumR III 600MHz, PentiumR II (up to
450MHz), and CeleronTM 500MHz processors.
Cache
       CPU built-in with 512K/256K/128K/0K Level 2 cache.
Intel AGPset
       Intel 440BX AGPset with PIIX4E South Bridge and 100MHz front-side
bus (FSB) platform.
Memory
       2 x DIMM sockets for supporting up to 512MB Intel PC100-compliant
SDRAMs in total.
Onboard AGP VGA (optional)
       ATIR 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X (8MB SDRAM) or Rage IIC (4MB SDRAM) for 3D
hardware acceleration.
Onboard PCI Audio (optional)
       ESS Solo-1TM 3D positional PCI Audio.
100/10Mbps Onboard LAN (optional)
       Intel 82558 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Controller Supports Wake-On
LAN
Onboard PCI IDE
      Dual UltraDMA/33 BM IDE Ports.
      Support greater than 8.4GB HDD.
      ATAPI IDE CD-ROM & LS-120 Supported
PC Health Monitoring (optional)
       PC Health Monitoring ASIC supports CPU Voltage, Fan Status, and
System Temperature Detection
       Intel LDCMR S/W and ASUS PC Probe Utility Bundled
Expansion Slots
      2 x 32-bit PCI Slot
       1 x 16-bit ISA Slot (Share with PCI)
Onboard I/O
      2 x Serial Port
       1 x Parallel Port (ECP, EPP support)
       1 x Floppy Port (3 Mode, up to 2.88MB)
       1 x USB Port (Support Hot-Plug Function)
       1 x PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse
       1 x RJ-45 Speaker Output
       1 x VGA Port
       1 x Audio Port
       1 x Game/MIDI Port
       1 x IrDA Port
Enhanced ACPI BIOS
       AwardR BIOS with Enhanced ACPI feature for PC '98/ Windows 98
Compliance, DMI, Green, Plug & Play, Features Plus SymbiosR SCSI.
       2M-bit Flash EEPROM.
Onboard I/O
Board Size
       NLX Form Factor with size : 20.3cm x 28.4cm (8" x 11.2")

If you have any insight as to what the problem could be, please cc
the address above with your reply.

.\\ichelle