Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:10:18 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, Shimon@i-Connect.Net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...

>Please keep me up to date on the results of your LKM-related tests.  If
>it turns out that there's a problem with unloading LKMs leaving occupied
>but invalid devsw entries around we'd better fix it 8)

Er, AFAIK unloading LKM drivers is broken in all cases.  It certainly
doesn't work for either of the officially supported LKM cdevs (joy
and qcam).  Unloading either of these and then attempting to opening
the nonexistent device gives precisely the trap at _spec_open+0x6e that
Simon reported (the devsw entry is not affected by unloading and points
to garbage).  Unloading followed by reloading obviously can't work,
because the driver only initializes the devsw once.

Bruce