Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:25:32 +0200
From:      Oliver Schonefeld <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serious Network Troubles (with vx driver?)

i recently updated my -current system from -current as of about mid-march to
lest sundays's -current (jep, from 4.0 to 5.0) due to the work done to the
ida driver.
well, the ida driver seems to work, but the network hast complety stopped
working.
with sunday's -current, after about 2-5 minutes uptime i want not able to
even ping machines on my local network. i cvsu'ed to tuesday's -current and
pinging of machines some how worked. but resolving of hostname does not work
properly. i added "options debug" to my /etc/resolv.conf and i get a lot of
"server timeout" messages. after 3-6 failures i get an anwser. i know for
sure, that the name servers are ok and i can also ping them, so it must have
to do with my system.
well, also all tcp/ip connections fail. cvsup failes with a connection
timeout and connecting with ssh fails also with the same message.
netstat -i shows nothing unusual (no tx/rx errors) and netstat -a shows just
an "ESTABLISHED" and the rx/tq queues are empty.
i have the bad feeling something is broke with the vx driver, since no one
else is having such problems.
any suggestions? any ideas?

the machine is a compaq prosignia 486 _eisa only_, the boards are 3com 3c597
eisa. the machine worked very well and stable under 4.0 -current.
northing unusual is shown, when booting the 5.0 -current kernel and all
hardware is detected normally. unfortunalty i am not having a dmesg output
here, since i am not home.
i am currently building world cvsup'ed as of 7:20 GMT+1 and will see, what
happens but i have the bad feeling my network will still be broken ...

regards,
oliver
And remember: "To Infinity And Far Beyond ... Somehow?!"

email: oschonef@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
       olli@psychopathen.org